Amber Kinetics is seeking a Senior Business Development Engineer as a core member of the Business Development team. Amber Kinetics is a clean energy technology provider with a long-duration flywheel energy storage system (FESS) powered by a vacuum-enclosed, magnetically levitated flywheel. The Amber Kinetics system is characterized by its highly efficient, non-degradable, 4-hour discharge duration, allowing unlimited daily cycling for the provision of back-up power, energy firming, energy arbitrage, demand charge management, and ancillary services to the wholesale, C&I, and micro-grid sectors. This individual should be a dynamic professional with rigorous training, experience in project engineering, power electronics and power systems, business development, and a can-do attitude.
The position reports to the Vice President of Project Development. The Senior Business Development Engineer will work closely with customers from project concept and design through contract execution. He/she will be the technical point of contact throughout the sales cycle, and a key member of the Business Development team in origination, project feasibility, economic analysis, and engineering performance. The Senior Business Development Engineer will also support the Company’s project execution and manufacturing teams during installation, commissioning, and operation. The position is customer-facing and requires moderate travel.
- Conduct feasibility analysis for individual customers of Amber Kinetics’ long-duration flywheel energy storage system.
- Prepare the technical portions of proposals to utility, C&I, and micro-grid customers for stand-alone energy storage and the storage components of renewables plus storage.
- Understand the customer’s energy storage needs and help design solutions to meet those needs.
- Interface with customers through the sales and contracting process.
- Take lead responsibility for the technical portions of the product negotiation, documentation, and contracting process. These include single line diagrams and site layouts.
- Provide seamless support to the Amber Kinetics project execution and operations teams once the equipment sale has been made.
- Provide customer feedback and guidance to the Amber Kinetics engineering team in its product design work.
- Provide competitive expertise on technology, markets, and regulatory environments to prioritize sales opportunities.
- Be a key member of the Business Development team in setting strategy for equipment sales and deployment.
- Assist in the establishment of channel partnerships with energy providers, industrial suppliers, and other companies for licensing and indirect sales to end users.
Required Experience and Skills
- B.S. in Engineering or related field and at least 5 years industry experience in power or renewable energy equipment
- At least 3 years of experience in business development
- Knowledgeable in principles of electrical power systems: 3-phase voltages and currents, circuit and protection sizing, and real & reactive power
- Experience working with power electronics, especially DC-AC inverters in energy storage, PV, or motor drive applications
- Experience with SCADA systems, hardware and software integration
- Experience in a customer-facing role; must be highly organized and responsive
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including mastery in Excel, presentation software, project management software, and engineering design tools.
- Requires domestic and international travel (up to 25% time)
- A good fit with our team is important – we value collaboration, enthusiasm, creativity, flexibility, tenacity, individual responsibility and attention to detail.
Desirable Experience and Skills
Experience with any of the following technologies:
- Battery Energy Storage Systems
- Rotating machinery
- PV or Wind power
- Energy project development experience, including interconnection and permitting
- Working knowledge of mechanical engineering principles including statics, dynamics and thermal effects
Location: This position will be in the Amber Kinetics Union City, CA headquarters in the Bay Area.
Please send your resume to careers+bizdeveng()Replace this text with the (at) symbol()amberkinetics.com
Amber Kinetics is developing a game-changing, low-cost, grid scale energy storage technology. We have partnerships with major utilities, and strong financial backing. Our team has a broad and deep skill set, encompassing multiple engineering disciplines, as well as project development. We offer competitive compensation, and a healthy work-life balance. Our Headquarters is in Union City, CA. Amber Kinetics is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary and equity package commensurate with experience
- 401k matching plan
- Medical, Dental and Vision